This is one of the most traditional dishes found in Puglia and is renowned throughout Italy.
Orecchiette alle Cime di Rapa combines Orecchiette pasta which literally means “Little Ears” and the tops of broccoli to give a fresh and easy pasta dish.
Ingredients (serves 4)
600g Orecchiette (you can also use the larger Strascinate Pasta)
500g cleaned broccoli
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Garlic cloves
1 spicy chilli
1) Ensure that the broccoli has been cleaned, the toughest part of the stalks must be removed, slice the broccoli and place into a saucepan of boiling water with a table spoon of salt.
2) When the broccoli is halfway through cooking add the orecchiette
3) While the orecchiette are cooking, slice the garlic and anchovies, fry in Extra Virgin Olive Oil until the garlic is on the verge of cooking. Slice the spicy chilli and add to the garlic and anchovies.
4) When the pasta is cooked, strain and add to the garlic and anchovies, do not strain completely to maintain the broccoli taste.
5) Mix together and serve, preferably with a glass of Puglia red wine